Friday, March 14, 2008

Apparently oratorical skills aren't a necessity

“I appreciate the fact that you really snatched defeat out of the jaws of those who were trying to defeat us in Iraq.” – President George Bush on Saturday, March 3, 2008. Trying, and failing, to apply the phrase “snatching defeat from the jaws of victory” to General Odierno
It’s no secret that it’s hard to listen to “President” Bush speak… not only does he have the charisma of a wet towel, his grasp of the English language is not… shall we say… good.

Consider that he tends to say things in the wrong context (see above) or opens himself up for ridicule by saying something so amazingly inane (see example 1 below) or says something that offends anyone that’s allowed to use their own brain (see example 2 below).
When he does that, you just have to point it out… here are two very recent examples:

First let’s look at his comment that exemplifies his uncanny knack of opening himself up for derision. Last night he was interviewed on PBS where he was asked if OPEC increasing their oil production would help bring oil, and thusly gas, prices down… his response;
“You know, I don’t know. You’re going to have to ask the experts that. I’m just a simple president. But I really don’t know what it would do…”
It’s the ‘I’m just a simple president’ that makes it art.

Then there was something he said yesterday that is a perfect example of him saying something that offends people in a way that only he could. During a videoconference with U.S. military and civilian personnel yesterday, Bush praised the troops fighting in Afghanistan, a noble and much-deserved plaudit that he promptly ruined by putting his foot into his mouth;
“I must say, I’m a little envious. If I were slightly younger and not employed here, I think it would be a fantastic experience to be on the front lines of helping this young democracy succeed. […] It must be exciting for you ... in some ways romantic, in some ways, you know, confronting danger. You’re really making history, and thanks.”
Romantic? Seriously? This isn’t a movie ya putz, these brave men and women are risking their lives, and you consider it ‘romantic’ and are ‘envious’??

Do you even think about what you’re going to say before you speak, or does your adle-minded brain not allow you that luxury?

I ask that question rhetorically and then remember your words; ‘I’m just a simple president’ and I think yes… yes you are.

Which then makes me realize that January 20, 2009 can NOT come soon enough...

No comments: