Friday, February 08, 2008

Right again...

Remember how I asked yesterday how long it would be after Romney dropped out for Limbaugh, Dobson and Coulter to endorse Huckabee?
Well, it took Dobson less than 24-hours…

The busybody founder for the organization-which-I-refuse-to-name has announced that he is endorsing former Gov. Mike Huckabee's White House bid…

Wow… I am shocked… I didn’t see that coming...

It’s so hard to express sarcasm in the written form.

Said Dobson;

“My decision comes in the wake of my statement on Super Tuesday that I could not vote for Sen. John McCain, even if he goes on to win the Republican nomination. […] That left two pro-family candidates whom I could support, but I was reluctant to choose between them. However, the decision by Gov. Mitt Romney to put his campaign ‘on hold’ changes the political landscape. The remaining candidate for whom I could vote is Gov. Huckabee. His unwavering positions on the social issues, notably the institution of marriage, the importance of faith and the sanctity of human life, resonate deeply with me and with many others.”
You have to hand it to Dobson to be able to speak a lot of words without really saying anything, but let me see if I can translate it for you… ahem; I chose Huckabee because he’s a religious conservative like me who doesn’t believe people should use their own minds and should listen and follow the teachings of my church to the letter… so I’m gonna back him and his stem-cell hating, putting abortion back in alleys campaign…

Of course I’m paraphrasing… but you get the point.

One could argue that this endorsement is not really an endorsement for Huckabee as much as it is a slap at McCain and his so-called “un-conservative ways”, but despite that, it gives Huckabee something to hang his hat on in the primaries that lie ahead… and even though Dobson is avowing his endorsement is as a private citizen so he doesn’t violate his organization’s tax-exempt status, you can count on a horde of his followers taking that as their cue to put their money and approval on Huckabee.

Countdown to Limbaugh and Coulter endorsing Huckabee in five, four, three—

No comments: