TGIF… ‘nuff said.
- Sen. McCain is claiming Sen. Obama is playing the race card… (Regardless of what each candidate and their surrogates may say, race is going to be a factor for some people in this campaign… perhaps the candidates should talk about it rather than trying to sweep it under the proverbial rug…)
- Apparently CNN is just now learning that high gas prices are causing American consumers to point fingers to assign blame… Message to CNN; May 2008 called, it wants its news story back…
- Congressional republicans are calling for a special session of Congress to deal with the oil crisis… though I’m sure it has nothing to do with “President” Bush urging Congress earlier this week to allow offshore drilling. And if you believe that, I have a nice bridge to sell you in South Dakota.
- July unemployment figures jumped from the previous month, the seventh straight month of job losses. The report, released by the DOL this morning found that companies eliminated 51,000 jobs in July while the unemployment rate also shot up to 5.7%, the highest rate since March 2004.
- Homeland Security disclosed recently that Federal agents can take a traveler’s laptop or other electronic device to an off-site location for an unspecified period of time, even “without any suspicion of wrongdoing.” The DHS also has the ability to “copy a lifetime of files” and then examine those files at their leisure… (Constitution? What Constitution?)
- More fallout from his idiotic and insensitive comments towards children with autism, last week’s TWR Tool of the Week Michael Savage has lost another radio gig. Los Angeles’ KGIL dropped his show earlier this week; joining stations in Ohio, Mississippi, and Virginia. He’s also lost a handful of advertisers as well. (Good… and I have the feeling we haven’t seen the end of the fallout, stay tuned)
- And have we mentioned? That Wal-Mart is worried about the November elections? Apparently the chain is mobilizing store managers and department supervisors by calling them to mandatory meetings in which they’re being told the downsides of a Democratic victory… evidently they’re scared that if Democrats win power in November, they’ll likely change federal law to make it easier for workers to unionize companies… (Kind of makes their slogan, ‘Live Better’, seem rather hollow, doesn’t it? Live better, as long as it’s not at our expense…)