- Despite ‘threats’ by the White House that they would tap into the bank bailout funds to help the auto industry, the auto bailout died in the Senate yesterday as republicans resisted an attempt to help the workers.
- Meanwhile, on the other side of the globe, the Swedish government is preparing a $3.5 billion bailout for Saab and Volvo that consists of credit guarantees and rescue loans. The plan now goes to parliament for approval… and I bet ya they get it right.
- Outgoing republican Senator, and current felon, Ted Stevens of Alaska is acting like a spoiled brat, refusing to speak to the man who knocked him out of his seat in November. Incoming Senator Mark Begich called Stevens a “couple days after the race was final, left a message and there was never a call back.” (Classy as always Ted…)
- CNN is reporting that officials in DC are planning for a ‘massive’ inaugural turnout… Um, guys; two weeks ago called, they want their headline back.
- The Bush(whacked) Administration’s war against animals and the environment continues as Lame-duck President Bush cleared the way yesterday for federal agencies to skip consultations with government scientists when starting on projects that could impact endangered wildlife…(This administration’s disdain for the environment is staggering, and it’s going to take a LONG time to clear it up…)
- The Blagojevich fiasco continues… and has now ensnarled his wife.
- Former Secretary of State Colin Powell spoke with CNN this week (the full interview will air Sunday) and said the republican party’s attempt to “to use polarization for political advantage” backfired last month and rather than “shouting at the world” the party should listen to minority groups if they want to win elections in this century. (that’s all fine and good Mr. Powell, but we know they can’t…at least the conservative base can’t, and they’re the ones that run the show. Attitudes need to be changed in your party Sir, otherwise the gop has seen their last majority rule)
- And have we mentioned? That Vice President Dick “DICK” Cheney has experienced a scratch in his rose-colored glasses? Speaking at a closed-door gop lunch yesterday, Cheney supposedly said that it will be “Herbert Hoover” time in the US if an auto bailout failed to pass. (Granted, we’re already there… but each time a member of this administration admits it, a bailout gets its wings…)