Saturday, September 23, 2006

Wow, has it really been a year?

17,729... What does this number represent? This is the number of visitors to this blog since we started one year ago. Not bad for two guys from the Midwest who on a whim decided to start a blog that would be a forum for discussing what we see as being right and wrong in this country of ours. Basically we decided to take all the things that we would talk about on a daily basis, put them in written form and share them with the rest of the world. Mainly our discussions would focus on things that are happening that result in giving this great nation a ‘black eye‘.

What 'black eye' you say? Well a figurative black eye at the least. You see ever since a misguided bureaucrat in Florida opened the door for the SCOTUS to give the highest office in the land to the person who lost the popular vote, we as a country have lost our standing in the world and lost the financial security gained during the 1990’s. But have no fear, we can and will regain our standing on the world stage and with hard work and determination we can and will regain our nations financial security. Unfortunately we are witnessing the result of having one ideology controlling all levels of government, and unchecked power has proven dangerous.

I used to take pride in the fact that I could quickly write a short post about a breaking news item that I had an opinion about. However, last spring my employer (aka: Big Brother) decided to throw up a filter that would block access to any website that had anything to do with blogs or blogging. (Although god knows that all the fantasy sports fanatics can still access their precious web data from the office…sorry I don't do fantasy sports nor would I know the first thing about how to work or run them.... Politics is my sport...) So in addition to working long hours and being a divorced (but very involved) dad, my time to blog has been limited.

So anyway, Kemp and I decided that we would choose our favorite post from the past year and I am sure that he is having as difficult a time as I am trying to pick just one. So I am torn between two (or three if you count the first in two parts).

The first one goes almost back to the beginning, and was the first post on our blog concerning Tom DeLay (R-TX) who has since resigned his congressional seat in disgrace. This post was followed up 3 days later and marked the beginning of the end for dear old Tom.

The other post that I would point to is one that raised the troubling issue of the narrow-mindedness that seems to permeate all levels of our society. (It also touched off a few interesting e-mails)

I hope to be able to post more frequently in this next year and have an even harder time choosing a favorite post this time next year. Until next time-

Be good, stay informed…later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your site but I rarely visit it. Why? Because focusing on all the crap gives me chest pains. Yeah I know it's out there, but having it thrown in my face makes my heart hurt. I want to move to Canada. I want Bush to get impeached. Hell, I even want Cheany to have another heart attack, but really focusing on it throws me into a state of depression.

In my case ignorance isn't bliss, because I am aware of it all, but I take it all so personally it's hard for me to discuss it. I don't know. I'm a sensitive girl with tummy problems when it comes to stuff like this. Ugh. Plus I live in WHEATON ILLINOIS of all places--the most conservative, white, Republican place in all the land. I'm surrounded by it! Hubby and I live here because they need some of "us" around to smack 'em upside the head. And you know the old saying, "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer"? Well, that's what we're doing!

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say Happy Birthday and thank you for your blog. Maybe I'll grow some balls and read it more often.