Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Another Guest Post

(Editors note: Kemp and I are always proud to welcome guest posters to our blog. After all, inclusion is one of the cornerstones of Democracy. Today we welcome our good friend and blogmigo; Sarah. Without any further delay let's see what is on Sarah's mind on this day after the md-terms.)

As I write this the Virginia Senate race still hasn't been decided. I don't know if I should be happy that Webb seems to be in the lead or bewildered that a Senator that called a guy from Falls Church a "macaca" has gotten over 1,162,000 votes.

Either way, that isn't what I want to talk about.

I know the last time I posted here I wrote about gay marriage, but this abomination takes ignorance a step beyond normal bigotry.

Read the full text of this amendment that my fellow Virginians just voted to include in our state constitution.

"That only a union between one man and one woman may be a marriage valid in or recognized by this Commonwealth and its political subdivisions.

This Commonwealth and its political subdivisions shall not create or recognize a legal status for relationships of unmarried individuals that intends to approximate the design, qualities, significance, or effects of marriage. Nor shall this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions create or recognize another union, partnership, or other legal status to which is assigned the rights, benefits, obligations, qualities, or effects of marriage."
Mother of God! You fucking morons. I don't care if you have a problem with same sex marriages (well, I do, but that isn't the point) do you realize what you just enacted into law?

Read the second paragraph again. I'll wait.

Do you understand what this means? Neither do I. It's pretty vague, but it sure does open up a lot of doors to deny rights and property and benefits to A LOT of people, straight or homosexual.

I see problems with common-law marriages, people who live together, (apparently a man and a woman living together who are not married is technically illegal in Virginia anyway) same sex couples etc.

If you share a home with someone and it is in their name and you are not married if they die you get nothing by law unless it is properly spelled out in their will. You guys had better hope that probate won't leave people homeless. It also ensures that same sex marriages or common law marriages recognized in other states will not count here. I could go on and on and on about our civil rights, but I will leave it at this - Virginia is for lovers, but only married heterosexual lovers who are over 18 and were married in a ceremony that the state feels like acknowledging.

Idiots.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's brutal! Not entirely surprising but still, that's pretty heavy-handed. Thank God the Dems will now have more power. Maybe they can get this abomination repealed or whatever the proper legal terminology is.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my home state! The state of genius in ignorance! I know some very bright people that live in or are from Va but, the rest live with their heads in the mud. Whatever. They just make me angry! Morons.

Kara said...

sigh.

(okay, I was too sad to write a real comment because that whole post just DEPRESSED me. I'm from MA, where we leagalized gay marriage and guess what? I'm not any *less* married to my husband, the entire state hasn't fallen into a big deep burning pit, and that fear that we were going to be flooded with same-sex couples wishing to marry? Never really happened. All I've seen is my place of business celebrating the marriages of ALL its employees and my students from non-traditional families becoming actually pretty boring. 2 moms? Yawn. That's so 2004. What snapped me out of mu sulk was the word verification code : dduurr. Apparently, blogger agrees with you, Sarah)