Friday, August 10, 2007

Is Rudy Giuliani really this dense?

I mentioned in this morning’s “‘BushWhack’ing” about Rudy Giuliani’s incredibly inane comments from yesterday;

“I was at ground zero as often, if not more, than most of the workers. ... I was there working with them. I was exposed to exactly the same things they were exposed to. So in that sense, I'm one of them.”
I also told you of the Head of the Uniformed Fire Officers Association in New York, Battalion Chief John McDonnell, and his response;
“"I have a real problem with that statement. I think he's really grasping and trying to justify his previous attempts to portray himself as the hero of 9-11.”
A little less than a day later and the anti-Rudy comments are flooding in.

Queens paramedic Marvin Bethea, who suffered a stroke, posttraumatic stress disorder and breathing problems after responding to the attacks wasn’t happy with Giuliani’s statement, saying;
“His statement rang false to "I personally find that very, very insulting. […] Standing there doing a photo-op and telling the men, 'You're doing a good job,' I don't consider that to be working.”
And how about Ironworker Jonathan Sferazo, 52, who said he spent a month at the site and is now disabled, he called Giuliani's comments "severely" out of line, adding;
“He's not one of us. He never has been and he never will be. He never served in a capacity where he was a responder.”
Or how about this from the head of the Detectives Endowment Association, the union of NYPD detectives, Michael Palladino;
“As a result of their hard work, many are sick and injured. The mayor, although he did a fine job with 9-11, I don't think he rises to the level of being an equal with those men and women who were involved in the rescue, recovery and cleanup.”
Everyone with a brain knows that Rudy Giuliani was not down on his hands and knees helping… he was not risking his health… he was not offering support to the men and women doing the work… No, he wasn’t doing any of that… he was trying to put off the mayoral election so he could stay in office longer… and when his term was up, he decided to capitalize on 9/11 by charging hundreds of thousands of dollars on the lecture circuit…

And now?

Now he’s the frontrunner for the gop presidential nomination.

If that doesn’t speak to the republican party’s ideals… I don’t know what does.

No comments: